What is Facebook Live and Can I Use it to Market my Business?
Facebook has been rolling out it’s live streaming video feature in waves for the last four months. Live let’s you connect with real-time video to your friends, fans, and followers on Facebook. It is currently available to people with an iPhone and has been available to celebrities, athletes and other verified public figures via the Mentions app since August. Live is consistent with Facebook’s increasing dedication to video as a medium.
“Video is one of the most engaging and immersive ways to tell your story. Whether capturing breaking news, a baby’s first steps, or rising to a friend’s challenge for charity, it is a remarkable storytelling medium. Video uploaded directly to Facebook is an increasingly important part of News Feed, and more people than ever before are sharing, discovering, and engaging with videos that they care about.” –By Fidji Simo, Product Management Director, Video, Facebook
Though Facebook is late to the live-streaming scene behind companies like Blab, Periscope, and Meerkat the sheer volume of their user base gives them a leg up on the competition. For businesses, it means that the time invested in producing and distributing streaming video could have a much larger reach and a better ROI.
Facebook is currently testing live video with selected, verified, business pages and is suggesting that a roll out to all pages could come soon via their Pages app. We recommend companies start brainstorming now on creative ways to integrate this powerful new tool into their social media marketing strategy so they are ready to roll out as soon as it’s available.
Here are a few suggestions for how to be effective using Live for your marketing.
- Use effective headlines: When your followers are making the decision to follow your live video stream, all they will have to go off of it the title. Make it interesting and catch their eye.
- Have a plan: Know what you are going to talk about before hand. This doesn’t mean script every second of the broadcast, in fact casual and “real” is more effective. But have a topic and a goal in mind before you start.
- Do a Q&A: Invite people who are following to ask you questions and answer them live. Or get a list of questions before hand and answer them live.
- Behind the Scenes: Show live video from “behind the curtain.” Do a quick snap shot of a day in the life, or how your team brainstorms creative solutions.
- Show and Tell: Show your expertise by walking through how to do a technique or make a product in simple, easy to follow steps.
If you are interested in Facebook Live and want to talk about how it could be a creative solution to marketing your business, we would love to talk with you. Give us a call at 907-563-6008 or email me at [email protected]