5 Content Marketing Tips to Improve Your SEO
If you’ve spent any amount of time online, you’ve probably gotten sick of hearing that content is king, but while the phrase is beyond overused, it is still true. As Google continues to change it algorithm at the rate of 500-600 times per year in an unending quest to improve the customer experience, we end up relying heavily on techniques like content marketing to keep our SEO rankings high.
To start off with, let’s define some terms and get on the same page. Search engine optimization (SEO) is an often misunderstood process in which your website is “optimized” to rank high in relevant searches and therefore performs better in lead generation and conversions. What is content marketing? I believe the Content Marketing Institution has one of the best definitions:
A well executed, effective content marketing strategy leads to your website ranking better and bringing in more traffic, which can lead to more conversions and more sales. So let’s look at some of the most valuable tips for your content marketing.
- Give Advice, Not Pitches. Content marketing is all about providing information that is useful to the customers at various points of their buying journey. Pitching people is not the “content marketing way” and should be avoided at all costs. Create quality content, establish yourself as the expert, make yourself and your company invaluable to them. Then let them come to you.
- Answer Critical Questions. Your customers are online “Googling” a question right now, or they will be very soon. Are you answering that question? What issues or pain points are your clients or soon to be clients asking about? One of best places to get information on which questions you might need to be answering is to go to your sales team and/or your customer service team. What do they get asked frequently? What do consumers want to know? Then answer these questions one by one in your blogs. Some of them with long answers could even be a whole series of blogs!
- Original Content is Gold Standard. Republishing old content isn’t the worst thing you can do, but consistently adding original, new content lets the search engines know they need to keep coming back. Fresh, SEO-friendly content is engaging for readers and can keep you higher on the search page results.
- Compelling Visual Content a Must. Visual aids are still powerful, especially in the digital world. Use graphics like pictures, infographics, charts, and videos to engage your reader and keep them moving through the text. We are a visually stimulated culture, give the reader a reason to stick around. It is important to remember to make sure you use Alt Tags with any uploaded images. This gives the search engines information about the content and again improves SEO.
- Utilize SEO Keywords. Keywords need to appear in the body of your text as well as within the title of your content. There is a balance to be struck in how many times you use the keywords. Use them too often and both Google and your user will think you are “spammy.” However, if you don’t use them often enough Google and other search engines won’t know what your content is about. The important part to remember is not to force them into the content; you want the reader to enjoy the experience. So a good rule of thumb is to include your keywords in the first 160 characters of the meta description of the page as well as in the first 200 words of content.
It is easy to get lost in the ever-changing world of SEO, search engine rankings and more. That being said following tips like these and others can help you have a positive and productive experience. If you are interested in how our content creators improve our clients’ search engine rankings and generate more leads, we would love to show you. Feel free to reach out at 907-563-6008 or via email at [email protected].